Hello everyone,
    My name is Prafullkumar P. Tale. I am a 4th year student at Indian
Institute of Technology Roorkee, doing 5 years Integrated M.Sc. in Applied
Mathematics. ( It is an integrated course offering graduate and post
graduate degree with Math major).

    My area of interest lies preliminary in algorithms. I like coding for
mathematical problems and spend most of my time for the same. Initially I
stepped on wrong foot and started coding in MatLab. I spend 1&1/2 year,
before finally switching to Python. I love Python. After attending Sage Days
25, India and SciPy 2010,India, I became a big fan of open source and would
like to contribute back.

    I think GSoC would give me a structured platform and other incentives to
work for open source projects. I would like to work for SymPy as it gives me
an opportunity to work closely with mathematical concepts rather than solely
coding. The projects ideas I am going through are-

   - improve the integration algorithm
   - definite integration & integration on complex plane using residues
   - improve polynomial algorithms
   - implement efficient multivariate polynomials
   - improve simplification and term rewriting algorithms
   - implement symbolic global optimization (value, argument) with/without
   constraints
   - *improve the plotting module*s
   - generalized functions -- Dirac delta, P(1/x), etc... Convolution,
   Fourier and Laplace transforms
   - ordinary and partial differential equations
   - improve SymPy's interoperability with other CAS software

    I had one or two courses in most of the topics during my academic
studies and worked with Sage, NumPy, matplotlib,etc. I am working to know
how much I can implement in SymPy before finalizing my topic. I am following
the directions/guidelines given to Sherjil Ozair in recent posts and I am
thankful for that. If there are additional things, please let me know.

    Some of my earlier work can also be seen at -
https://github.com/hector1618.

    Thanking you for your time.

--
-Regards
Hector

Whenever you think you can or you can't, in either way you are right.

P.S. - I often use Hector as my nickname.