On Apr 22, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Ronan Lamy <ronan.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le vendredi 22 avril 2011 à 13:15 -0700, Ondrej Certik a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I met with Mateusz face to face and we just talked over the phone with
>>> Ronan and we managed to agree on the following compromise so far:
>>>
>>> 1) send a pull request against master with polys12. We think that the
>>> Chris' pull request should be enough, but Mateusz would like to look
>>> into it
>>
>> I think my branch p12-fix [https://github.com/rlamy/sympy/tree/p12-fix]
>> would be a better base. Compared with p12, I squashed a few fixup
>> commits and fixed some imports to make bisecting easier, and I
>> backported Python2.4 compatibility fixes at the start of the branch, so
>> that tests pass with 2.4 for most commits. Also, I've done the merge
>> with the current master.
>
> Exactly, we just converged (independently) with Mateusz to the same
> conclusion: let's just use this branch.
>

> We have discussed pro and cons for lots of hours in the afternoon with
> Mateusz and we came to the following proposal:

> We would like to push this branch
> (https://github.com/rlamy/sympy/branches/p12-fix) into master, as it
> is.
>
> This is a huge pull request. Aaron, would you be ok with this to go in now?
>
> Ronan, this is a little deviation from the plan, that we agreed upon
> in the phone, but here are pros/cons of the original plan:
>
> * nothing will happen now
> * GSoC students will to use separate poly12 branch
> * we will be wasting Mateusz's, Chris' and Ronan's time to keep
> merging/rebasing and with uncertain future
> * Mateusz has already invested too much of his life into this (for
> example he has spent the whole Christmas on this)
> * if he had to rebase/merge again in the future, Mateusz, who knows
> polys12, but will not know all the details in the master, it will be
> very difficult for him to do so
> * things will continue to rot
>
> and the new plan (push p12-fix into master):
>
> * There will be only one branch
> * sympy will be released before the summer, with polys12 in
> * Mateusz will spend his time and go over the dozens (68) issues here:
> http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/list?can=2&q=label%3APolynomial
> and keep fixing them
> * he will rebase his few patches, that are not in p12-fix
> * we'll move on and get this polys issue behind us and all of us can
> spend our time on more productive things
>
> I vote +1 for the new plan to push this in now.
>
> Ondřej

I am +1, as long as Mateusz is +1 to it.  He knows the branch better than
anyone, so if he has reviewed it and is OK with it, and if the tests are
passing, it can go in.  We need to do extensive testing with the various ground
types, but that will be done before the release anyway, so I think as long as
there aren't any blatant test failures, this is fine.

What happened to the isympy commits from the top of polys12?  Are those among
the "few patches that are not in p12-fix"?  But I think as long as Mateusz is
careful, we won't lose any fixes.