Alright, so I took Vinzent's old branch and made the most important
things work over current master - see my local_assump branch [*]. I
also added the hashing extensions for caching I described. Now only
someone has to be daring enough to rewrite all the .is_foo properties
and see how much breaks.

[*] There are a few test failures, but nothing unfixable.

@Haz: Can you take a look if this implementation of caching is still
amenable to the problems you described? There is a test in
test_cache.py that you could take as a baseline.

Even if we decide that assumptions should all be passed around
explicitely, I think assumption injection is a good transition
strategy.