On 05/13/2011 04:35 PM, Aaron Meurer wrote:
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Alan Bromborsky<abro...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 05/13/2011 11:54 AM, Jeremias Yehdegho wrote:
On 05/13/2011 02:49 AM, Saptarshi Mandal wrote:
The situation in my college is that several people use Matlab/
Mathematica for various reasons
and really have no incentive to shift to an open source CAS (except
for geek cred) unless it is
easier to use. The reason being that copyright laws are lax in India
and many people just download
whatever software they need off warez sites.
When I started studying a few years back, the only OSS we used was
Octave. Nowadays, students are taught SAGE among others. Even if student
licences are affordable, I don't think closed source programs are
appropriate in academia and teaching.

I think this sort of evangelism is one way of getting the sympy
userbase to grow.

I've been name-dropping SymPy at every opportunity lately. :)

Jeremias

Alan MacDonald of Luther College has written and undergraduate textbook
"Linear and Geometric Algebra" that uses
sympy as an integral part of solution of the study problems.  See -

http://faculty.luther.edu/~macdonal/laga/

That's pretty cool.  Does he just use the GA module, or the core sympy too?

Aaron Meurer

He uses the matrix module also.