On 05/13/2011 02:49 AM, Saptarshi Mandal wrote:
> The situation in my college is that several people use Matlab/
> Mathematica for various reasons
> and really have no incentive to shift to an open source CAS (except
> for geek cred) unless it is
> easier to use. The reason being that copyright laws are lax in India
> and many people just download
> whatever software they need off warez sites.

When I started studying a few years back, the only OSS we used was
Octave. Nowadays, students are taught SAGE among others. Even if student
licences are affordable, I don't think closed source programs are
appropriate in academia and teaching.

> I think this sort of evangelism is one way of getting the sympy
> userbase to grow.

I've been name-dropping SymPy at every opportunity lately. :)

Jeremias