Could you explain why normal multiplication/addition operations on
Poly is slower than on Muls and Adds, when Poly is supposed to be
lower level than Mul, Add ?

In [35]: A = randMatrix(5,5)

In [36]: A = A.applyfunc(lambda i: i + x)

In [37]: %timeit B = A.T * A
1000 loops, best of 3: 1.63 ms per loop

In [38]: C = A.applyfunc(poly)

In [39]: C
Out[39]:
⎡Poly(x + 56, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 89, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x +
23, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 46, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 95, x,
domain='ZZ')⎤
⎢
⎥
⎢Poly(x + 41, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 3, x, domain='ZZ')   Poly(x +
17, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 13, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 85, x,
domain='ZZ')⎥
⎢
⎥
⎢Poly(x + 10, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 95, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x +
60, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 42, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 79, x,
domain='ZZ')⎥
⎢
⎥
⎢Poly(x + 98, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 84, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x +
54, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 32, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 52, x,
domain='ZZ')⎥
⎢
⎥
⎣Poly(x + 10, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 87, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x +
27, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 23, x, domain='ZZ')  Poly(x + 52, x,
domain='ZZ')⎦

In [40]: %timeit D = C.T * C
100 loops, best of 3: 5.72 ms per loop