Oh. I understand. And how does one turn off cahe ?
Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

-----Original Message-----
From: Mateusz Paprocki <matt...@gmail.com>
Sender: sympy@googlegroups.com
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 22:37:30
To: <sympy@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [sympy] Re: Borrowing ideas from Polys to Matrix

Hi,

On 29 May 2011 12:49, SherjilOzair <sherjiloz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you explain why normal multiplication/addition operations on
> Poly is slower than on Muls and Adds, when Poly is supposed to be
> lower level than Mul, Add ?

In some cases overhead of Poly maybe significant. But I'm quite sure you
just didn't turn off cache, because for example:

In [4]: f = x

In [5]: g = Poly(x)

In [6]: %timeit u = f + f
10000 loops, best of 3: 114 us per loop

In [7]: %timeit u = g + g
10000 loops, best of 3: 40.2 us per loop

Your example gives now:

In [8]: A = randMatrix(5,5)

In [9]: A = A.applyfunc(lambda i: i + x)

In [10]: %timeit B = A.T * A
10 loops, best of 3: 20.6 ms per loop

In [11]: C = A.applyfunc(poly)

In [12]: %timeit D = C.T * C
100 loops, best of 3: 11.9 ms per loop

So Poly is 2x faster than Add in this case. If you use %timeit and don't
turn off cache then what you time is how fast @cache can retrieve previous
results.

> [...]
> over
> > > ZZ, then M[0,0] += 1 is well defined and is fast because it requires
> only
> > > one call to domain.convert() (which will exit almost immediately,
> depending
> > > whether ZZ.dtype is Integer, int, mpz or something else). That was
> simple,
> > > but what about M[0,0] += S(1)/2? 1/2 not in ZZ so += may either fail
> because
> > > there is no way to coerce 1/2 to an integer, but it may also figure out
> > > domain for 1/2 (QQ), upgrade the domain in M and proceed. In polys both
> > > scenarios can happen depending whether you use DMP (or any other
> low-level
> > > polynomial representation) or low-level APIs of Poly or high-level APIs
> of
> > > Poly (low-level uses the former and high-level uses the later). The
> main
> > > concern in this case is speed (and type checking but it isn't very
> strong).
> > > Deciding whether 1 is in ZZ is fast, but figuring out a domain for 1/2,
> > > unifying domain of 1/2 with ZZ (a sup domain has to be found, which in
> this
> > > case is simple, but may be highly non-trivial in case of composite or
> > > algebraic domains) and coercing all elements of M, is slow.
> >
> > > How to figure out a domain for a set of coefficients? Use
> > > construct_domain(). It will give you the domain and will coerce all
> inputs.
> > > Refer to Poly.__new__ and all Poly.from_* and Poly._from_* to see how
> this
> > > works. sympy.polys should have all tools you will need, so try not to
> > > reinvent things that are already in SymPy. For example speaking about
> those
> > > "detailed types" 'int', 'expr', 'poly': poly -> what domain and
> variables?,
> > > expr -> what simplification algorithm?, etc. Learn to use what the
> library
> > > provides to you. If there is something missing, e.g. you would like
> > > construct_domain() to work with nested lists, that can be done, either
> on
> > > your own or just ask it. For now it may be a little tedious to use
> stuff
> > > from sympy.polys in matrices and at some point I will have share, e.g.
> > > domains, with other modules.
> >
> > > My suggestion is to start from something simple. You can create a new
> matrix
> > > class that will support the bare minimum of operations to replace
> Matrix in
> > > solve_linear_system(). This new matrix class would support domain
> > > construction and type conversions using mechanisms from sympy.polys.
> Change
> > > solve_linear_system() to not use simplify() but rely on the ground
> types to
> > > do the job (solving zero equivalence problem). If this works and is

Mateusz