I think GitHub is assuming that everyone who uses pull requests also
uses their issue tracker. If you enable the issue tracker, all pull
requests are considered issues.  There are a ton of features available
in the issue tracker that are not available to pull requests alone
(like searching, milestones, colored labels, and assignee).

See https://github.com/asmeurer/GitHub-Issues-Test/issues (and feel
free to play around with that issue tracker, I created it just for
testing the GitHub issues). If you are really interested in what the
GitHub issues can do, you might want to fork the project so you can
have admin privileges in the issue tracker.

Aaron Meurer