On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:46 PM, pedda <notforyou...@hmamail.com> wrote:
> I noticed there is an error in the matrix, which I thought might have
> prevented sympy from calculating the right values, but Mathematica
> calculates this and even bigger matrices instantly. What I find
> interesting though is that Maxima has the same problems with the
> matrix. I have attached a new matrix from a simpler system but my
> sympy is still not able to calculate this. Any ideas on the reason?
> Might this have something to do with precision ? I am using a 64 bit
> system if this is of any help ...

Try the latest version of sympy. The determinant of 0 is computed in a
matter of a few seconds. What is disappointing is that the recent
changes to try detect singular matrices don't work on this matrix: the
rref form is a beautifully computed identity matrix without the zero
(somewhere along the way) being detected with .is_zero. And trying to
detect it by defining iszerofunc=lambda x:expand_mul(x) == 0 is still
working as I write. Perhaps if a symbolic matrix is being inverted,
the determinant should be computed to test for invertibility since
detecting a symbolic zero for a system this size is (apparently)
difficult. I can't even get the length of the string version of
element 0,0 of the "inverted" matrix to print after more than a
minute.

How are you generating these matrices?