I have tried to do it non-symbolically, but I think it is rather
inelegant. I am also trying to promote the use of python/sage over the
use of Mathematica with my fellow students and it is somewhat
important to show that they can do the same thing for free with other
advantages. Since Mathematica is able to calculate the eigenvalues
without any problem or delay, it is hard to convince someone to switch
to a system that takes so much longer and is not as reliable.

I just installed the python3 version of sympy, which didn't it done
either... You can by the way eliminate the recursion depth error by
adding sys.setrecursionlimit(2**20) to your file. So far, this is what
I found out from testing with various systems:
Sage with python 2.6: calculates up to 36x36 in a reasonable time
(65s)
python 2.7/python 3.2: calculate up to ~ 20x20
Sage with Maxima for calculation works faster, but I have problem with
really big matrices like 400x400 ... working on it though!