On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM, pedda <notforyou...@hmamail.com> wrote:
> I have tried to do it non-symbolically, but I think it is rather
> inelegant. I am also trying to promote the use of python/sage over the
> use of Mathematica with my fellow students and it is somewhat
> important to show that they can do the same thing for free with other
> advantages. Since Mathematica is able to calculate the eigenvalues
> without any problem or delay, it is hard to convince someone to switch
> to a system that takes so much longer and is not as reliable.
>
> I just installed the python3 version of sympy, which didn't it done
> either... You can by the way eliminate the recursion depth error by
> adding sys.setrecursionlimit(2**20) to your file. So far, this is what
> I found out from testing with various systems:
> Sage with python 2.6: calculates up to 36x36 in a reasonable time
> (65s)
> python 2.7/python 3.2: calculate up to ~ 20x20
> Sage with Maxima for calculation works faster, but I have problem with
> really big matrices like 400x400 ... working on it though!

Some perspective is appropriate:

* Finding eigenvalues symbolically for anything for very small
matrices is incredible slow and the answers you get are not going to
be meaningful symbolically - you are going to want numerical answers.
I am not saying sympy's algorithms couldn't be better.
* 400x400 is a small matrix for numerical computations.  By insisting
on using a symbolic algorithm, you are making an easy problem hard.
Moving to a numerical approach would allow you to handle matrices of
*many* thousands of rows/columns almost instantly.
* For these types of matrices you really should be using the sparse
matrices in scipy.sparse.  Otherwise you are wasting a ton of time
storing and multiplying zeros.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian E. Granger