Am 24.02.2012 02:19, schrieb Renato Coutinho:
Unfortunately the main infrastructure is in Java, but the UI is, of
course, javascript - not sure how much can be reused.

Etherpad Lite seems to be a better original to look up. (It is Etherpad rewritten in pure Javascript using Node.js.) 1.5 M instead of 30 M, just Javascript instead of Scala+Java+Javascript, 9k LoC server-side instead of 101k LoC. Far easier to rip off :-)

Node.js is a library for doing nonblocking I/O without using threads. Start the I/O, but instead of waiting for the result to appear, submit a function that will be called when the I/O completes. (That's a very nifty architecture.) Python's answer to Node.js would be Eventlets (http://eventlet.net) or Twisted (http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/) or Pyjamas (http://pyjs.org/about.html, and read the absolutely hilarious Guide to Pyjamas on http://pyjs.org/will_and_abe_guide_to_pyjamas.html).