Hi Aaron,

Really sorry for the late reply... I was busy with my mid-term tests for
the last couple of weeks so couldn't reply...

Well, to describe my background in abstract algebra... I have done a course
on 'Real Analysis' which basically dealt with the concept of Metric Spaces
and their detailed applications on sequences and series.
I am currently doing a course on 'Functional Analysis' which discusses the
completeness of Metric Spaces and links them to Vector Spaces.

Alongside, I have also been studying discrete algebra for the previous two
semesters and have considerable knowledge about Group Theory and its
extension to Rings and Fields and Vector Spaces. I found this to be really
interesting and I was wondering if this concept can be inculcated into
Sympy.

Hoping to hear from you...

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm not sure how relevant the residues idea is now that we have the
> Meijer G algorithm implemented, as this is more powerful than that.
> There are still some integrals that are easily computed via residues
> that aren't done with the new algorithm, but it's probably better to
> fix those by extending the Meijer G algorithm.
>
> Tom, what do you think?  Would a residues algorithm still be
> worthwhile?  If not, please remove it from the ideas page.  And if so,
> perhaps you could write up some more about it in relation to what we
> already have.
>
> Regarding the other ideas, perhaps you could tell me a little more
> about your background in algebra, so that I know what level of work
> you can handle, and where to start the discussion.
>
> Aaron Meurer
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Gaurav Sathe <gaurav.sath...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I am an undergraduate student currently doing my Masters in
> > Mathematics and will be doing my B.Tech in Computer Science. I have
> > been doing both discrete and abstract maths for almost three years now
> > and I love coding in Python. I would very much like to be part of GSOC
> > 2012 for SymPy. I was going through the 'Project Ideas' page and three
> > projects particularly interest me:
> > 'Improving Series Expansions' ,,, 'Implementing definite integration
> > algorithm using residues' ,,, and  'Risch Algorithm' (on which you
> > worked in 2010).
> > Could you please let me know about the status of the Risch algorithm
> > project and also the other two??? Also any suggestions will be really
> > helpful... Hoping to hear from you...
> >
> > --

Gaurav Sathe
-Student at BITS Pilani - Goa Campus