On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:
> Am 17.03.2012 13:25, schrieb Sergiu Ivanov:
>
>> Hm, the difference is actually much more fundamental than my
>> imagination would paint it to me :-(
>

> Oh, but the difference between C and Pascal is far from fundamental!
> If you want something fundamentally different, try Lisp. Or Haskell. Or even
> APL :-)

Yes, I should have said "influential" instead of fundamental.

APL looks fun :-) I wish I had the time to actually try it :-)

>> Yes, sure.  Avoiding left-recursion is usually not that hard with
>> proper experience (at least I've always found it easy), but I see your
>> point.
>
> Eliminating left recursion is indeed not difficult :-)
> It's just that you'll have to postprocess the parse tree.
> Which distributes the structural description of the parse tree over two
> places, the syntax and the postprocessing code. I think that's a real
> disadvantage that would need to be offset by some advantage elsewhere.

Yeah, I see.

> Don't expect an easy miracle though.
> User input is multi-channel high-noise input, extracting useful signals from
> that ain't easy.

Yes, right.  I wanted to say that gamma.sympy.org won't be visited by
many visitors in the beginning, which may allow a human eye even to
extract some information.  However, this assumption may become invalid
very quickly, so yes, collecting and analysing data automatically is
the way to go, although it's not immediately straightforward how to do
it.

Sergiu