Sounds good. I am just not sure if *implementing* a pure abstract
group class is the best way to go. From an implementation perspective,
it would be very convenient if the abstract group class encapsulates
the permutation group class. Implementing any other concrete group
will then require one to a) inherit the abstract class, b) map the
group operation to an appropriate permutation group operation and c)
construct an isomorphism from the concrete group to the permutation
group. This way we can reuse all the algorithms that have been
implemented for permutation groups. This strategy is useful for
implementation because perm group algorithms are the simplest to
implement.

I have not looked at the source code of GAP but I think the abstract
groups that GAP allows you to create are really permutation groups
masquerading as abstract groups. I could be hopelessly wrong though.