Take a look at http://www.maplesoft.com/products/mapleplayer/ (this is
just for iPad, but there's no reason that I see that it couldn't also
run on the iPhone).  This runs predetermined calculations, but you can
modify the input to be whatever you want.

http://pocketcas.com/iphone/press.php appears to be a full blown
computer algebra system that runs locally.

I remember seeing a major open source CAS ported to iOS, but I forgot
what it was, and I can't find it any more.

There are several other examples. Many calculator apps have
rudimentary symbolic support.  As it's been shown, SymPy itself is
already in several iOS and Android applications (the iOS ones are just
Python apps that include the SymPy library).

As for its usefulness, I think it will be very useful.  More and more
people are owning smartphones and tablets.  Think of it as the most
powerful pocket calculator you've ever owned.  What would be the need
to have a TI 89 if you could run an even more powerful system right on
your phone, for example?

Aaron Meurer