On Mar 24, 10:39 pm, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How could it be too late?

Well yeah I hoped it's not :) I was wondering about that because it'd
take a massive amount of changes over different modules to put all
abstract algebraic structures on a common setting -- but I think
that's the right direction to treat this stuff (like, abstract algebra
is abstract so in order to implement it we need more abstractness :) )

> Well the GAP people have obviously thought about this problem a lot
> more than we have, and they have quite a bit implemented, so it is a
> good place to look for references.  Obviously, we will want to modify
> some things to make them more Pythonic, or to make them fit better
> with other parts of SymPy.  For example, GAP is written in C, which is
> not object oriented, so depending on how they implemented their data
> structures, we may want to do it different (not to mention that Python
> has its own independent set of data structures from C with their own
> advantages and disadvantages).
>
> Aaron Meurer

Yep the GAP guys appear to be solid citizens. They have a 900 page
reference and also all the C-code is freely available. Apart from that
they have tables for a LOT of known finite groups. I think this is
going to help a lot - they are referred to in Chapter 11 of The
Handbook on Computational Group Theory and could speed up some of the
algorithms.