I wrote this 3 days ago and somehow put it in drafts instead of
sending it. Hope it still helps.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Aleksandar Makelov
<amake...@college.harvard.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 10:39 pm, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How could it be too late?
>>

> Well yeah I hoped it's not :) I was wondering about that because it'd
> take a massive amount of changes over different modules to put all
> abstract algebraic structures on a common setting -- but I think
> that's the right direction to treat this stuff (like, abstract algebra
> is abstract so in order to implement it we need more abstractness :) )
>

>> Well the GAP people have obviously thought about this problem a lot
>> more than we have, and they have quite a bit implemented, so it is a
>> good place to look for references.  Obviously, we will want to modify
>> some things to make them more Pythonic, or to make them fit better
>> with other parts of SymPy.  For example, GAP is written in C, which is
>> not object oriented, so depending on how they implemented their data
>> structures, we may want to do it different (not to mention that Python
>> has its own independent set of data structures from C with their own
>> advantages and disadvantages).
>>
>> Aaron Meurer
>>

> Yep the GAP guys appear to be solid citizens. They have a 900 page
> reference and also all the C-code is freely available. Apart from that

Sage also has a lot - in python or cython. See for example
http://hg.sagemath.org/sage-main/file/c239be1054e0/sage/groups/perm_gps/permgroup.py#l1
However, their license is GPL, not BSD, so you can't use it directly.
Hopefully, it is another good reference for you to look at though.
You can see from the author field, it seems I wrote (many years ago) a
few of those
methods. Of course, I am more than happy to relicense any of my code as BSD,
in case that helps.