On Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:43:41 PM UTC+5:30, Stefan Krastanov wrote:

> Also you said that your interval arithmetics will not support
> expressions like integrals and so on. You said that it is because the
> behavior between the end points is important for the calculations. But
> I think that it is extremely important to support all expressions in
> sympy, thus my question:
>
> Is it possible just to have a simpler and inexact interval arithmetics
> for all the expressions that are not explicitly supported by your
> code?

If the integral can be simplified to an expression that contains the
functions
I implement in interval arithmetic, then it can be handled.

> A simple linear or quadratic interpolation should do the trick in most
> cases.
>
> Otherwise your code will be useful only for a very constrained subset
> of sympy functions (no special functions (gamma or bessel), integrals,
> nsolve expressions and so on).

For gamma/ bessel functions we can use interval arithmetic based on their
series expansions. As the recursion goes from a larger block to a smaller
block, it is impossible without knowing how the function behaves to do
interval
arithmetic. A linear/ quadratic interpolation is equivalent to series
expansion and
hence can be done, though it has to be atleast quadratic to get decent
results.