On 04/17/2012 02:26 PM, Comer wrote:
Hi Joachim,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am now working on my macbook pro and am using TextWrangler. This editor has (no surprise) a setting to let me see both spaces and tabs in a py file. Using that I was able to finally see where the aberrant things were. Also, as you point out it is more than just that. But as a result of fixing the tabs/space issues, I was more easily able to see the code errors, as the tests did not run after the tabs/spaces business was fixed. I found the errors and now all runs fine.

I am a linux guy. My other machine is a debian linux machine. On that I have used drpython, which is nice in that it checks syntax and did show some problems. But its internal facility for converting tabs to spaces does not work in the version I have, so I reverted back to the Mac and sorted it out with TextWrangler.

Do you know if geany is available for the mac Lion? If so I will give it a try.

Thanks.

Comer

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:16:15 PM UTC-4, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

    Am 17.04.2012 19:31, schrieb Alan Bromborsky:
    > You might want to consider using "geany" as an editor. It
    automatically
    > converts tabs to spaces (go to the edit preferences tabs for the
    editor
    > and files).

    Actually, all but the most simplicistic editors have a setting for
    that.
    It's more a question of finding and activating that setting, less a
    question of the proper editor to use.

    (I agree that Geany is a fine editor though.)