Hi folks,

I have a straightforward, but tedious probability problem that I need to
expand symbolically.  Sympy's set and interval material is close, but I
can't see how it would work in a multidimensional application.  I've used
Sympy for some fairly intricate PDE problems, but never for this sort of
thing, and I would appreciate any suggestions, please.

I have a number of events that appear as, for example  2 < X < 5 and 3 < Y
< 8 which have associated probabilities and joint distributions (i.e. are
not mutually exclusive).  From basic probability and set theory

   p( 2<X<5 \cup 3<Y<8) = p( 2<X<5 ) + p( 3<Y<8 ) - p( 2<X<5 \cap 3<Y<8 )

and so on.  My problems start with about 6 unions that are intersections fo
2 conditions each, all in 3 variables, so requires both the expansion above
and reduction for intersecting intervals.  It isn't difficult, just tedious
(and error-prone).

I was about to hand-roll the symbolic algebra as Python classes, but I was
wondering if there was a way to approach this with Sympy's intervals
module.  It's not clear to me, from the docs or from experimentation, that
it handles multi-dimensional problems.

Best regards
-- Simon