On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nroots uses mpmath's polyroots, which according to its documentation,
> uses the Durand-Kerner method
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durand-Kerner_method).

Nice, thanks! I read up on this and even ended up doing a successful
C++ implementation, mostly based on
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/82407/. I'm not sure why anyone
would want any other method than this, given that it returns all
real/complex roots quite quickly and without any initial estimate or
bracketing.

> Use the init_session() function. Something like
> init_session(order='rev-lex').  You can also set use_latex=True if you
> want to use LaTeX pretty printing in the QT console (this also works
> in the notebook).

I tried:

init_session(order='rev-lex',use_unicode=True,use_latex=True)
var('t')
t+t**2+1

and it prints

         2
1 + t + t

which is fine for the rev-lex thing but it is not the MathJax like
display. What did you exactly mean by LaTeX pretty printing? The
init_session help says: "use_latex: boolean or None; If True, use
latex rendering if IPython GUI's".

BTW in the same help, under order, there is no entry for rev-lex. It
is not also clear that revlex, rev-lex both are accepted. Can you
please update the docstring? Thanks.

--
Shriramana Sharma