On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durand-Kerner_method).
>>
>> http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/82407/. I'm not sure why anyone
>> would want any other method than this, given that it returns all
>> real/complex roots quite quickly and without any initial estimate or
>> bracketing.

Uh oh, looks like I spake too soon. Durand-Kerner stumbles over itself
in cases of multiple roots being identical. Try running:

from sympy import var,nroots
var('x')
for r in range(1,5):
    for p in range(2,5):
        e=((x-r)**p).expand()
        print("x-"+str(r)+" raised to power "+str(p)+" gives roots:")
        print(nroots(e))

Wonder what to do about this?

>> which is fine for the rev-lex thing but it is not the MathJax like
>> display. What did you exactly mean by LaTeX pretty printing? The
>> init_session help says: "use_latex: boolean or None; If True, use
>> latex rendering if IPython GUI's".
>
> Maybe don't set use_unicode?  Does the extension work?

OK let me start again: I open a fresh IPy3 QtConsole session, and do
the following:

from sympy import *
init_session(order='rev-lex',use_latex=True)
var('t')
t+t**2+1

I only get the regular pretty printing. I have TeXLive 2012 installed
on my system from PPA. Using SymPy 0.7.2 on Py 3.2.3.

--
Shriramana Sharma