On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the codes, I'm not sure.  "combinatorics" already contains a bunch
> of stuff that isn't really combinatorics (like group theory).  Maybe
> we should create "algebra" and put it and group theory there.  You

This sounds reasonable to me.
I'm not sure of the process for moving things around.

> will have a better idea than I about where the best place to put
> things is, since you know what things will do. We definitely welcome
> the contribution, regardless of where it ends up.  I am actually
> taking a course in algebraic geometry and codes this semester,
> focusing on error-correcting codes, so maybe this will be useful to me
> (or maybe not, it sounds like you are focusing more on cryptography
> than codes).

I should write up coding theory stuff as well.
But for now, it is pure (basic, elementary) crypto.

> Also, you could try using FF (like FF(3)(1) for 1 mod 3).  It seems to
> work in my tests.  You'll more likely than not want to use FF(3,
> symmetric=False) to avoid "negative" numbers.

I forgot to do that. It seems to be okay though.

I posted a first version to

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/wdj/teaching/crypto0.py

Place it in sympy-0.7.1/sympy and all the examples should work.

I am unsure of a few things.
(a) Is the docstring formatting okay?
(b) Are there enough examples?
(c) Is the snippet "unique" at the bottom of the file
allowed in SymPy? (I found it somewhere and don't know the copyright
or license. It's a one-liner and thus might not be copyrightable.)

Other issues?