On Feb 25, 2013, at 11:04 AM, Dale Lukas Peterson <hazelnu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> pydy.org gives a 404. You might want to fix that.
>
> I'm not sure why pydy.org was 404'ing, it is fine now.  It is hosted
> on a AWS t1.micro instance, so maybe it just got briefly overloaded.
>
>> You should also contact the SymPy list, as they will probably be the
>> mentoring organization that you will apply to (unless you guys have
>> some project that would live outside the SymPy code base, in which
>> case, it can possibly also go under the umbrella of another project,
>> such as Python).
>
> With regards to the mentoring organization, we are interested in
> development of some things which are related to
> sympy.physics.mechanics but are not symbolic in nature and as such
> might not make sense to be part of sympy. Where the boundary is
> exactly I am not certain, but I think the line is probably somewhere
> near the point where sympy expressions get output as C code that is
> then compiled to do some sort of numerical study. We have some ideas
> of things we'd like to do be able to (in a generic sense) with this
> numerical code, and it doesn't seem like this belongs in sympy. So we
> were considering creating a project that depends on sympy and
> specifcally sympy.physics.mechanics but isn't necessarily part of it.
> This has code maintenance issues though, so we should verify that this
> is absolutely necessary before we go this route.
>
> If people have thoughts on this, I would love to hear them.

This is a great example of what Matthew suggested earlier on this list
about using GSoC to support external projects that use SymPy. So even
if most of the code doesn't directly go in SymPy, we could still
consider "hosting" such a project. If it really is completely separate
from SymPy (except for the inevitable bug fix patches to SymPy), you
might want to have the student also apply to Python. Then they will
have a better chance of being accepted regardless of how the slots
work out. If you do decide to go this route, you should decide soon,
as Python requires orgs that they umbrella to apply to them.

Aaron Meurer