I do not think that the problem here is with your understanding of
sympy but rather with the way that pythonic variables work.

for instance:

L = [1,2]
a = L[0] # 'a' points to the object int(1)
a = 5     # 'L' does not change but 'a' points to the object int(5)

I used the verb "points" but it would be wrong to say that python
variables are pointers. Checkout python's docs and search
stackoverflow for questions on this subject.

PS
And be aware that

L[i] = var

is a syntactic sugar for a method call, something quite different from

a = var