Don't worry, we understand that many of the applicants have exams at the moment.

For simplicity I will talk about vector spaces only in a finite number
of dimensions.

Consider a vector space V and a vector v in that space. Representing v
as a matrix in some basis results in a one column matrix.

Each vector space has a dual space V' which is the space of all
entities that take a vector from V and return a scalar. Consider v' an
element of V'. v' acting on v is written as v'(v) - a scalar.
Representing v' as a matrix in some basis results in a one row matrix
and v'(v) is just the matrix product of the two.

I will write repr(v') and repr(v) for the representations of v' and v
in the basis in question.

To say that v' is the dual of v with respect to the scalar product <,>
means that v'(v)=<v,v>.

Writing this down with matrices would be
repr(v')*repr(v)=repr(v).T*H*repr(v) where H is the hermitian matrix
corresponding to the scalar product <,>.

Indeed often the basis is chosen such that H is the identity matrix,
which means that repr(v).T=repr(v') (i.e. transposing the matrix
representing v results in the matrix representing the dual of v)

Hopefully I did not introduce any mistakes above.