2013/5/21 Stefan Krastanov <krastanov.ste...@gmail.com>

> mpmath also supports abstract base classes. So we need just to test
> `isinstance(obj, AppropriateAbstractBaseClass)`.
>
> The idea is not to go for only python types, rather just use them where
> appropriate (int instead of Integer for instance, as Integer does not bring
> anything besides performance degradation).

Integer brings something very important: the ability for 1/2 to return a
Rational, instead of 0.5 or 0.

There can be issues when multiplying python float and mpmath float, but
> these issues exist now as well. And it is mpmath's job to take care of
> them, not ours. For instance, the horrible mess for precision tracking in
> evalf has no place in sympy. It is something that can be done in mpmath.

mpmath is a bit dead, in no small part because of SymPy's decision to use a
static copy of it instead of treating like a proper upstream.