>  There can be issues when multiplying python float and mpmath float, but
>> these issues exist now as well. And it is mpmath's job to take care of
>> them, not ours. For instance, the horrible mess for precision tracking in
>> evalf has no place in sympy. It is something that can be done in mpmath.
>>

> mpmath is a bit dead, in no small part because of SymPy's decision to use
> a static copy of it instead of treating like a proper upstream.

<tangent>
This is a different conversation but I'd be in favor of reopening the
dependency question.  Probably this should happen after the current
conversation reaches some sort of conclusion.  It should also likely happen
on a different thread.  If anyone agrees and starts such a thread at the
appropriate time I'd love to participate.
</tangent>

And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion:
"Go 1!"