Hi,

I(with the help of Chris) have recently merged in two functions that
convert Dictionary of Keys(DOK) representation to Compressed Row
Format(CSR) format and vice versa. [1].

Since I don't actually know much about the applications of  sparse
matrices in domains like Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics etc.,
I wanted to discuss following issues with people--

1. What are the applications of Sparse Matrices.
2. Where does CSR representation have advantage over DOK
representation. I now know that CSR takes less space than DOK. Can
others please tell me some other advantages?
4. Which operations can be optimised with the help of CSR
representation. By optimised, I mean making it's order of growth of
running time smaller.
3. Do we need another data representation for Vectors? Perhaps not,
but do other CAS have a vector data representation?

-Saurabh

[1] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/2169