Hi,

> > Since I don't actually know much about the applications of  sparse
> > matrices in domains like Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics
> > etc., I wanted to discuss following issues with people--
> >
> > 1. What are the applications of Sparse Matrices.

Sparse matrices have many application in numerics
when dealing with very large matrices. Sometimes the
matrix would not even fit into memory as a full matrix.
And there is no point in storing 99% zeros in any case.

However, I wonder what are the applications of sparse
matrices in *symbolic* computations? For example I see
why we might want sparse (multivariate) polynomials.

But I'm not sure if in linear algebra the matrices
with *symbolic entries* we handle ever are large
enough such that the sparsity pays off?

Please do not count this as a -1 on the recent efforts
implementing sparse stuff in sympy.