On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This Windows installer is problematic. We are not really able to test
>> it. I think we should probably stop making it. For one thing, it
>> doesn't work everywhere (e.g., you can't make a 64-bit installer
>> unless you are using Windows). If there is interest, I can try to
>> debug and fix it, but otherwise, I think we should just stop making
>> them.
>>
>> My recommendation to anyone installing on Windows is to just use
>> Anaconda.  See http://docs.sympy.org/latest/install.html#anaconda.
>> That will just work, and if it doesn't, Continuum has the resources to
>> fix the problem. And it comes with a bunch of other stuff like the
>> IPython notebook and matplotlib that you might find useful when using
>> SymPy.
>
> Did y'all try the installer at http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

Yes, I forgot about the Gohlke installers. This was is preferred if
you already have Python installed and you want to install into it.
Note that your Python has to be registered in the Windows registry for
these installers to work (and probably for the ones we currently ship
to work as well).

> I'm happy to help with the windows installer.
>
> We have a windows 7 64 bit machine you are also welcome to use; Ondrej
> has login and remote desktop access to that, I can give access to
> anyone who needs it.

I honestly am still in favor of just not making them any more. I
really like that I can do a whole release of SymPy, including testing,
in under an hour on my machine. Windows installers complicate that
(right now they aren't even tested), and if they will require a
separate machine to make/test, that will complicate things even more.

If a lot of people ask for them, we can look into it. But otherwise, I
would just recommend people to use Gohlke (if they already have Python
that they want to install into), Anaconda (which works, always keeps
up with the latest SymPy, and is well tested and supported), or, if
they do have Python installed, using pip or setup.py install are
always options assuming you know how to run those.

We can also look at building wheels. Those are supposed to be the
future on Windows anyway. But there's again the issue of testing.
SymPy is pure Python, so even on Windows a source install shouldn't be
a huge deal, at least relatively speaking.

But if you want to try to implement some stuff, PRs are welcome.
Everything is at https://github.com/sympy/sympy/tree/master/release.

> The question of whether to defer to (Canopy, Anaconda) has come up a
> few times on various lists.  It seems to me that has some serious
> risks that we can avoid by making good windows installers.

What are the serious risks?

Aaron Meurer