Sympy Gamma and Sympy are not the same thing. Sympy has a plotting
module that can use multiple backends, but only the matplotlib backend
is mature enough (and the only one provided with sympy besides a small
text-based backend).

There is an example d3js backend but it is far from ready for use.
There is no mayavi backend. Both would be nice additions.

There was an old plotting module based on pyglet (and still available
in sympy), but it has a few drawbacks and it has not been tested for a
long time. It is much more responsive for 3d plots than the current
matplotlib backend. If we have mayavi, the pyglet module can be
removed. Even if it is kept, it needs a lot of cleanup and it needs to
be integrated with the new plotting module (as a backend).

Sympy Gamma does not use the plotting module at all and it plots only a
subset of sympy's function (at least that was the case a few months
ago).