On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:01 PM, Stefan Krastanov <
stefan.krasta...@yale.edu> wrote:

> Sympy Gamma and Sympy are not the same thing.

Yes, I got to know. Even both of them use the different Plotting logic. I
have gone though the logic.py and resultsets.py file of the sympy_gamma.

> Sympy has a plotting module that can use multiple backends, but only the
> matplotlib backend
> is mature enough (and the only one provided with sympy besides a small
> text-based backend).

In the Documentation of Sympy, It is mentioned that Sympy currently uses
matplotlib module to plot both 2D and 3D plots. So, Currently sympy does
not use matplotlib and uses pyglet module.

> There is an example d3js backend but it is far from ready for use.
> There is no mayavi backend. Both would be nice additions.

David pointed out to me that Sympy_gamma uses d3.js backend module to plot
2D and 3D plots. He had replied that "Gamma uses its own plotting code
based on d3.js, which is all rendered client-side and does not support all
types of plots (particularly 3D plots)."

I am aware of the Mayavi backend and would like to work for it to extend it
further.

> There was an old plotting module based on pyglet (and still available
> in sympy), but it has a few drawbacks and it has not been tested for a
> long time. It is much more responsive for 3d plots than the current
> matplotlib backend. If we have mayavi, the pyglet module can be
> removed. Even if it is kept, it needs a lot of cleanup and it needs to
> be integrated with the new plotting module (as a backend).
>
> Sympy Gamma does not use the plotting module at all and it plots only a
> subset of sympy's function (at least that was the case a few months
> ago).

Now, I would like to summarise some of the things and clear some of the
misconcepts and need your help to get started with the plotting module to
extend it further and improve it according to the user's specifications.

1. What is the old and new plotting module. Are you referring old module to
the pyglet module.
2. I have gone though the mayavi module can work on it further. Could you
guide me where to actually start working on.
3. According to the above discussion, I would like to clear whether Sympy
uses any other module other than pyglet.
4. In the ideas list under the Improve the plotting module, it is mentioned
that The old pyglet module does not work with the new module. Simplify the
old module and write a backend for it. Could you explain in detail about
the new module.
5. After the implementation of the Mayavi backend, is it necessary to have
pyglet module as you had mentioned that it has some of the few drawbacks.
6. What work needs to be done for the matplotlib. I can get this work done
as I am aware of this module.

I would like to start working on improving the Plotting module and
integrate with the existing Sympy Plotting Module.

One can also contact me on IRC : nitinagarwal3006  at Freenode
or github : https://github.com/NitinAgarwal

> On 17 January 2014 22:34, Nitin Agarwal <nitinagarwal3...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As I was trying to put my hands on improving the plotting module for
> sympy
> > Gamma, I could not get an idea for what all functions the plots are being
> > plotted on Sympy Gamma both 2D and 3D plots. After going through the
> ideas
> > list there are lots of things that needs to be done for improving the
> > Plotting module for Sympy. After coversing with David, I got to know the
> > plotting is not getting done for multivariate functions.
> > http://www.sympygamma.com/input/?i=x^2+-+y^2
> > and currently sympy uses d3.js for plotting both 2D and 3D and in the
> > documentation its been mentioned that "Presently the plots are rendered
> > using matplotlib as a backend".
> >
> > So I would like to know what all things are working and what needs to be
> > improved in this module. Currently I am not sure backend for Mayavi has
> been
> > implemented for plotting 3D plots or not. I can get it working for sympy.
> > Does any work needs to be done in Pyglet module for plotting.
> >
> >  --
> >
> > Nitin Agarwal
> >
> > --

*Nitin Agarwal*