I strongly think that multipledispatch should be a separate project.
There is a good chance we would use this over time in IPython and I
definitely plan on using in various codes I write outside of SymPy.

It would probably be a good idea to get some good review done on
multipledispatch though before SymPy starts to rely on it.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think some questions should be answered first. I think we're all convinced
> of the technical merits, so I won't touch on those.
>
> What are your plans for multiple dispatch as a project?
>
> Why can't this just be included in SymPy?
>
> Do any other projects use multipledispatch, to your knowledge?
>
> How stable is the API? Will we need to worry about compatibility breaks no
> version mismatches?
>
> Aaron Meurer
>
> On Apr 1, 2014, at 9:10 PM, Matthew Rocklin <mrock...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> i'd like to add the multipledispatch project as an external dependency to
> SymPy.
>
> As a reminder, SymPy currently doesn't depend on any external libraries, so
> this particular move also represents a policy shift.  This potential policy
> shift follows substantial discussion, notably at
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/7339 .  There are good reasons for and
> against external dependencies (I recommend checking out the header of the
> mentioned issue).
> I'm now specifically proposing that we depend on multipledispatch which
> might have other more specific benefits and drawbacks.  Even if someone is
> for dependencies they might not be for this particular dependency.
>
> Any thoughts?  Now would be a good time to voice concern.  One example use
> of multipledispatch in SymPy is at #2979 .
>
> Best,
> -Matt

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAJ8oX-Gi8uGcXF6i73tGFp71%2B02mfJW2d42MUvADkRvCsZHRRw%40mail.gmail.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/-6231458978799167094%40unknownmsgid.