> What are your plans for multiple dispatch as a project?

In terms of development I consider it mostly complete now.  Plans for the
future are mostly performance tweaks and support for Python3 type
annotations (Jeremiah Lowin has done some good work on this)

> Why can't this just be included in SymPy?

It could be but it would be a fork and so might cause fragmentation

> Do any other projects use multipledispatch, to your knowledge?

I've used it in LogPy, my personal logic programming system.  It's a
complex enough project to generate issues. SymPy would be the first major
project with actual users though.

> How stable is the API? Will we need to worry about compatibility breaks no
> version mismatches?

I think that the API is pretty solid now but the project has really only
had input from one developer.  I encourage others to take a look at the
design docs and make suggestions sooner rather than later

http://multiple-dispatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/design.html

Ondrej raised the API stability question on the issue.  I'll include my
answer to that below

Yup, that's a valid concern. On the flip side once multipledispatch has
users it's much harder for me to experiment and change things.

However, in this particular case there are a couple of things we can do.

   1. Multipledispatch supports a few interfaces, one of which is the
   interface used by singledispatch in Python 3.4 functools. It's safe to
   say that this interface is pretty stable
   2. Because I happen to develop both projects I can probably manage any
   changes simultaneously in the two codebases for the first few months

Finally, multipledispatch has a very small scope. I consider it to be
fairly complete now. I mostly expect only performance tweaks and some
Python 3 sugar in the future.
<https://github.com/certik>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAJ8oX-E%2Bai_gLrnC9AMOor44%3Dp11SGiamcrzniaQV0M_oeCSPQ%40mail.gmail.com.