It is possible to do either of these things, I'm against the first though.
 Multiple dispatch is not a SymPy project.  It's as usable by numpy or
IPython as by SymPy.

I'm happy to grant commit rights to anyone who actively develops the
project.  Ondrej has been futzing with it recently.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAJ8oX-G%3DDHXZZr9wnvL3qLQhG6BgBmKRxybC4OwpFiQPnpaJUQ%40mail.gmail.com.