On 5 Aug 2014, at 0:14, James Crist wrote:

@Tim:

They're for representing tensors. Of course, the can be used for a number
of things, including calculating finite difference formulas. In my case, tensors are useful for stress analysis, especially in changing reference
frames. Other uses I know about relate to various physics topics.

Oh neat! I took a class on finite elements, but we never referred to them
as tensors. I'll have to look into that.

Not really, finite differences are a different approach to solving PDEs. With finite differences you have nodes at i-1, i, and i+1 (and possibly in time or in multiple dimensions). You approximate the derivative with differences in the values at those points. You can use Indexed to represent these. As the mesh gets more fine, it's a closer representation of the derivative as the formulas come from Taylor series. I guess you could think of them as tensors, but it's not a common thing. It's just that Indexed provides a useful way you can do the representation.

The tensors are from continuum mechanics. The more sophisticated analysis of material deformation all comes down to this, and tensors are the usual way to represent things.

Have you used code generation with them? If you have and have some example code with them you could send my way that'd be great. It'd be really useful for me to understand exactly what the scope of support for them is, as I
work around the implementation trying to get other things to work.

No, I haven't. Sorry.

For example, would you ever create an Indexed that did an operation with a Matrix? Or a Matrix with Indexed's as elements? What I'm trying to see is if there is any reason for them ever to coexist, or can the implementations assume that they're never used together? The tensor code makes everything really complicated as the loops introduce a scope of sorts (symbol y[i]
isn't the same value at each point in a loop).

It's highly unlikely you'd create an Indexed that did an operation with a Matrix, but a Matrix with Indexed elements, yes as this is what would happen in a finite difference model.

Cheers,

Tim.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/B68EFEFD-3CCC-4D2F-93F9-A326BE280EA1%40gmail.com.