On Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:13:51 PM UTC+1, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> I don't think that single-click procedures are necessary though.
> What's more important is that the setup procedures behave, um,
> "rational", i.e. they should not fail without apparent reason, and the
> day-to-day procedures should be easy enough.
>
> I.e. single-click "run all tests" certainly is nice, but SymPy tests
> need configuration like --slow and random seed, which tends to break
> single-click procedures. Something that requires two or three clicks
> (and works reliably) should still be considered good enough for the
> purpose, IMHO.

PyCharm can parse certain standardized test files, with the ability to
run/debug a single test function by "left click" + "run/debug test" on the
source code, this is comfortable when a developer has just made an edit but
a test is failing, and he is trying to examine why the test is failing. I
mean, you put a breakpoint by a mouse click, then you run the test in debug
mode by clicking on the same location where the breakpoint lies, that's a
killer feature.

Consider the potentiality for new users, maybe with little experience in
SymPy or git. They would be able to learn how to run a test instantly,
without any need to read SymPy's documentation. Git is really easy to use
inside PyCharm.

Furthermore, I suggest that PyCharm be advised to new users having little
experience with git. You just open SymPy's folder and it works. If you use
Eclipse+PyDev it still needs some configuring, let alone integrate Git and
Github into Eclipse.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/8508e1d0-238b-4469-b255-8afdef162a21%40googlegroups.com.