Am 03.01.2015 um 22:59 schrieb Ondřej Čertík:
On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:
Am 03.01.2015 um 13:02 schrieb Sergey B Kirpichev:

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 12:27:41PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

Lets hope that mpmath will not break backward compatibility.

I wouldn't want to rely on hope.

In fact, this is a sane assumption about library development.

I strongly disagree about this being a sane assumption.

It may be sane for libraries that already have a varied set of consumers,
which is proof that they have committed to a stable API. Even there, I have
seen libraries make horrifying decisions.

Fredrik said that he will try to keep the API stable, so it will work out fine.

I still see risks, though there's a limit to which discussing failure scenarios makes sense. After a while, the probability of overlooking a failure scenario becomes higher than the probability of each individual failure scenario.

However, even if the risk is small, I wouldn't want to promote using SymPy together with an mpmath version that it wasn't tested against.

I think we can solve technical problems like testing on Travis.

That's going to be a combinatorial explosion.

I agree with you that pip is a horrible way to install and maintain
software,

What are the problems with that?
Right now I'm aware of that versioning issue, which I think can be worked around though I'm not 100% sure yet.

> but fortunately there are now pretty good package source
managers like Conda or Hashdist,

How are they better than pip?
I'm not opposed to any of these actually, I just don't know what the differences are.

I'm generally much in favor of unbundling, I'm just extremely cautious about avoiding reliability or bugfixing problems. What I wouldn't want is if SymPy got cluttered with code that used different workarounds depending on what version of a dependency is installed - such things are reliability and productivity killers (been there, done that, didn't like it).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/54A874CD.8070004%40durchholz.org.