Am 04.01.2015 um 14:51 schrieb Matthew Brett:
As far as I can see pip has had uninstall since version 0.6, about 5
years ago.  The stackoverflow post is someone trying to uninstall
using the wrong command line.

LOL. That's what you get from just skimming a problem report.

So, pip is in the clear about uninstalling.
Are there other problems with it that would affect us?

I suspect the new tool that gets really widespread adoption will first
need to persuade the Python Packaging Authority [3].

I'd be very happy if that's truly the case, because their policy sounds very much like what we need (very careful not to break backwards compatibility etc.) Can we verify that the PPA is really authoritative? At least in those ways that count, i.e. if what they decide is quickly and widely adopted, that's good enough for me, authoritative or not.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/54A97BA8.1000806%40durchholz.org.