On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:
> Am 04.01.2015 um 14:51 schrieb Matthew Brett:
>>
>> As far as I can see pip has had uninstall since version 0.6, about 5
>> years ago.  The stackoverflow post is someone trying to uninstall
>> using the wrong command line.
>

> LOL. That's what you get from just skimming a problem report.
>
> So, pip is in the clear about uninstalling.
> Are there other problems with it that would affect us?

For sympy / mpmath, no, I don't think so.  I'm happy to be corrected
if someone can think of something.

>> I suspect the new tool that gets really widespread adoption will first
>> need to persuade the Python Packaging Authority [3].
>

> I'd be very happy if that's truly the case, because their policy sounds very
> much like what we need (very careful not to break backwards compatibility
> etc.)
> Can we verify that the PPA is really authoritative? At least in those ways
> that count, i.e. if what they decide is quickly and widely adopted, that's
> good enough for me, authoritative or not.

I think PPA is authoritative on general Python packaging. I think that
conda and so on are trying to establish themselves as de-facto
standards in scientific Python.

The route that most projects I know have taken is to build things that
work with pip (like wheels for matplotlib etc) and let Continuum and
the conda team develop conda packages.

Cheers,

Matthew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAH6Pt5p8b46L0ehP%2B_SGjnGem%3DAPR5qN11EeNLqygunWuP9EYA%40mail.gmail.com.