Hi,

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.cer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Sudhanshu Mishra <mrsu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Aaron (and others!), if you agree, I am going to write them to stop
>> spamming sympy contributors with this.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> According to the current exchange rates it is less likely but it may create
>> problems in future.
>
> Indeed.
>
> I thought about it some more and I think there is nothing wrong with
> tipping, but it needs to come from a human, i.e. somebody puts the
> money in and then they should decide who to give this tip and how
> much, based on how much they like the work (just like in a restaurant
> how much you liked the service and food, as opposed to the restaurant
> simply tipping 10% of your bill automatically). And if there is enough
> of such people doing tipping, then I think that could work and not
> create problems for our community.

There's a lot of data on the destructive effect of piecewise reward on
performance of interesting tasks; see [1] for a review, [2] for a
meta-analysis and [3] for a 20 minute TED talk,

Matthew

[1] http://www.alfiekohn.org/punished-rewards/
[2] http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/bul/125/6/627.
[3] http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pink_on_motivation?language=en