On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, prime4commit does this automatically to every email
> address in the commit metadata for every commit that is committed to SymPy.
> Supposedly people donate into it and it is distributed to the contributors.
> The total XPM currently "donated" into the project is 52.77, which according
> to the exchange rate noted by Francesco, is about $5 USD. There have been
> other similar projects, some of which have been very negatively received
> (see https://github.com/tip4commit/tip4commit/issues/127).
>
> Whether or not you take the money is up to you. I ask that you don't try to
> game the system in a way that negatively affects the project (by splitting
> your contributions into more commits than you would otherwise for instance).
>
> But most importantly, if you do want to donate money to the SymPy project,
> please donate to NumFOCUS. The donate button on
> http://www.sympy.org/en/donate.html will go directly to the SymPy NumFOCUS
> account, which we can then use to actually support the project in meaningful
> ways (for instance, we have used the money to help people attend conferences
> attended by other SymPy developers).

Exactly. I think that paying our contributors is a great idea, but
paying them automatically based on number of commits, or number of
merged PRs, or number of changed lines or files is a bad idea.

I think a good idea is to put up a price for a given task, and then if
the task was done (no matter how many lines of code or PRs merged),
pay the money to the people involved, as decided by the owner of the
money. I think this website got it quite right:

https://www.bountysource.com/

Except there I think only one person gets the money, the person who
submitted the PR I assume, but there is always more people involved,
in particular the reviewers, who sometimes invest more time in than
the author. So there might be even better way to do this somehow.

Ondrej

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CADDwiVDGKozG8PbWGh%3DbtNGg2gt_df3ts4qGVreqUb5xSKwyig%40mail.gmail.com.