>  > Also there can be false positives,
> > because a function can be imported just so that it can be recursively
> > imported from that same module. At best, you have to ignore __init__.py
> > files.
>
> That's the stuff that gets re-exported up to the sympy module itself, so
> that it is available to the SymPy user, right?

Just wanted to mention that that there is pytest-flakes and pytest-pep8 on
PyPI if
SymPy ever switches to depending on pytest externally. Pyflakes lack a way
to indicate that an unused import is intentional (for e.g. try/except
ImportError <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5033727>).
For pytest-flakes you can add ignore patterns to e.g. setup.cfg.

There is also flake8 which enables you to via comments to ignore warnings
on a per line basis. And there are extensions to flake8 (e.g.
https://github.com/openstack-dev/hacking).
-But, IMHO I think it is very easy to go a bit overboard with these things.
(starting a new project with automatic tests from day 1 is another story..)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/b7259156-865b-442f-b9ac-1dee02c03d4a%40googlegroups.com.