Chapter 9 is a bit different from the rest. It is a lot more
theoretical, but it is needed for the implementation. It tells you how
you can build the differential extension in a way that you know is
transcendental. For instance, you can prove (from the theorems in
chapter 9) that log(exp(x) + 1) is transcendental over QQ(x, exp(x)),
so it can be added as a differential extension. On the other hand,
log(exp(2*x)) is not, and the algorithm, which comes from the theorems
of chapter 9, tells you how to rewrite it in terms of x and exp(x) (in
this case, 2*x).

This is important because the algorithm everywhere assumes that the
extensions are transcendental. A nontranscendental (i.e., algebraic)
extension could produce a wrong answer (although, and this is an
interesting direction for research, I believe only a wrong answer in
the sense that it might tell you something is not elementary when it
isn't, see https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/11770).

For example, on that issue, I naively integrate f = exp(log(x)/2)
using risch, and it thinks it is nonelementary (it isn't, since f =
sqrt(x)). The problem is that the algorithm's decision procedures for
when an integral is nonelementary are based on the extensions being
transcendental, and QQ(x, log(x), exp(log(x)/2)) is not transcendental
(since y = exp(log(x)/2) is algebraic over the rest, satisfying y**2 -
x = 0). The structure theorems tell us how to reject exp(log(x)/2)
(or, if it were something like exp(log(x)*2), to just rewrite it in
terms of the rest). If you want to understand how this works, you
might try running through the code for risch_integrate(exp(log(x)/2,
evaluate=False), x) in a debugger.

For exponentials and logs, the theorems are pretty straightforward
(although the book doesn't have pseudocode, as I recall). They are
implemented in is_deriv_k and is_log_deriv_k_t_radical in prde.py. We
need a similar algorithm for the tangent case, to tell if a tangent is
transcendental over an extension. I forget what the exact structure
theorem looks like (I'll need to check my book later when I get home),
but I believe it is also relatively straightforward.

Yes, some of the book was skipped. Only half of chapter 7 was
implemented (Kalevi's PR does some work in this area). There are also
sections of the previous chapters that depend on things that aren't
yet implemented, so they aren't done yet either.

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6LiKDVsaAGuNy-_chrrhNvWX8y4OHO7wMMuFP6_Wu13MQ%40mail.gmail.com.