So Azure Pipelines has been running now for about 3 1/2 months. I
would like to get feedback on how people like it.

For myself, it seems that Travis has fixed most of the failing builds
issues that it was having. I've also noticed that Travis actually
finishes faster than Azure, possibly because of the higher concurrent
build limit.

Frankly, I'm not too happy with Azure. The web interface is about as
complicated as they could possibly make it. It took me half an hour
just to find something as simple as the setting to disable email
notifications. The YAML spec is also much more complicated, and
despite being so, has some serious limitations, such as environment
variables not being shared across "scripts". The most annoying thing
by far is that people with push access don't have the ability to
restart failed builds. I think I as an admin can give people access,
but 1) this is annoying to do, and 2) I really can't even figure out
where I should do that (I can't stress just how complicated and
unintuitive their web interface is).

Travis for its part is extremely simple, both in its web interface and
YAML spec. It's also very widely used, meaning most issues you would
encounter with it you can quickly find a workaround by Googling. For
instance, there is a workaround required to get Python 3.7 working,
but a Google search for "Python 3.7 Travis" turns up
https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/9815, which has the
workaround in the first comment. Contrast that with "Azure pipelines
pypy", which only turns up my issue requesting official support, with
no workarounds (https://github.com/Microsoft/azure-pipelines-tasks/issues/8514).

So for my part, I would like to stop using it. I'm adding Python 3.7
support to Travis here, which was the only thing that was only on
Azure https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/15867 (yes, this will add
more Travis builds, but we should be able to drop 3.4 support after
this next release).

But I would also like to hear others' opinions on it. Have you noticed
that Azure is any better than Travis in some way? I don't follow every
PR, so I don't notice every issue that comes up with Travis or Azure.

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6%2Bum-5ySbE2XrETKTuphFTjTo-C6RW3-TLt-kOHO5QvGg%40mail.gmail.com.