Hi David,

On Wed, May 1, 2019, at 11:47 AM, David Bailey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I used to work as an independent Mathematica consultant, and as such
> have a detailed familiarity with their Notebook mechanism. In my
> opinion Mathematica notebooks made Mathematica stand out - being able
> to work with algebra and calculus roughly as it would appear in a
> textbook made the system far easier to use than other computer algebra
> systems. Mathematica notebooks also provide a way to store work in a
> form that is easy to run again and modify, as required.
>
> Of course, Mathematica is extremely expensive, and every new version is
> bloated out with ever more functionality that hardly anyone needs.
> Recent versions of Mathematica are also licensed to individual
> computers, and it is necessary to contact Wolfram Research to move to
> another machine. I was therefore delighted to discover SymPy -
> completely free, and able to tackle most of the algebra and calculus
> problems that engineers and scientists require. I would imagine that
> almost everyone who buys Mathematica, uses it to solve problems that
> SymPy and its related packages can tackle for free!
>
> Unfortunately I have found the Juypiter frontend extremely hard to work
> with. I am posting here, because I am proposing to provide an
> alternative to Juypiter notebooks that does not use a browser based
> interface, and works directly with the Win32 API in 64-bit mode. Since
> I am proposing to replace Juypiter specifically for SymPy, I thought it
> was probably best to post here, rather than in a Juypiter-related forum.
>
> I am mostly retired now, so if I do this, it will be as a free
> contribution to the SymPy project. I already have a working basic
> prototype.
>
> Although this proposal relates to the Windows platform, I can see no
> reason why it would not port to any 64-bit platform that can run Wine.
>
> My prototype works directly with Python using the C-Python interface,
> so there are no problems with communicating processes, and obviously it
> is not necessary to have a CMD box running in the background to make it
> work!
>
> In my experience, the fact that Mathematica's notebooks do run as a
> frontend/kernel combination, does lead to visible complications for
> users of the software. Glitches of various sorts are inevitable.
>
> If anyone wants to know why I consider Juypiter unsatisfactory, I am
> happy to go into more detail.
>
> Basically I want to know what you all think about this software, which
> I propose to call SymPyNotebook.

As other said, I would also be interested in hearing what you don't like about
the Jupyter notebooks.

Thanks for working on a new notebook interface that you think is better. Do you
have some screenshots?

Ondrej

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/2a577156-b2e8-4ce9-bd3f-8d868fccd9e8%40www.fastmail.com.