To me the backwards compatibility thing is part of the problem. A lot
of the time the release blockers are about cleaning up some API that
is new since the previous release. We need to do it so that we aren't
forced to break it again in a later release. Or sometimes they are
about fixing a major regression. Regressions aren't always noticed
right away, though obviously they are noticed a lot faster if we
actually release a version with a change.

But I do agree that would could and should automate everything to the
point where we could theoretically do it every PR. I don't know that
we would actually want to release *that* often, but that's the level
of automation we need. We are pretty close as far as automation goes.
I think there are still a couple of minor things that are missing. And
we would also have to move our release script to run on a CI (which I
think is a good idea anyway).

Aaron Meurer