Hey sympy community, my name is Abhinav and i am from India. I have posted
a rough draft of gsoc proposal earlier and i need to confirm that if this
can be a Gsoc proposal.
Currently sympy uses special case factorization algorithms like pollard rho
etc. for integer factorization which works well if the number is made of
small factors or the number is limited to 10-15 digits long.
I propose to implement two new algorithms:

(1) Lenstra elliptic-curve factorization
(2) Self initializing multiple polynomial quadratic sieve

Currently the fastest known algorithm for factorization is General number
field sieve but its efficiency is seen when the numbers are more than 100
digits long and in general impractical as it takes hours to factorize
those. Instead the algorithms that i proposed are used to factorize
integers in the range of 20 - 60 digits long.
Quadratic sieve is the second fastest known algorithm and elliptic-curve
factorization is the third fastest known algorithm.
So, i was wondering if this is relevant to Sympy and can this be a proposal
for this year Gsoc. Looking forward to hear from the community.